Happy energy bite day! I know you're going to love these. Let me give you a quick round-up of what's in these so you know. Here we go.
1. Oats - for energy (this is one of the most important things in here) and just because oats are super healthy for ya!
2. Peanut butter - this is definitely for protein. The peanut butter will fuel you, whether you need a snack before a sports practice, or a quick bite at the office. Don't skip the peanut butter!!!
3. Coconut flakes - unsweetened. If they're loaded with sugar, you're missing all the benefits! Coconut is really good for you, in the natural form!
4. Chocolate chips - why not, right?
5. Agave nectar or honey - this (along with the peanut butter) binds all the ingredients together. Plus, it gives you some sweetness.
6. Chia seeds - I must be in a chia seed phase, as I used them in my last post, Over the Rainbow Smoothie. The chia is this is for health reasons, so don't skip! And you can add extra than what my recipe will say below.
7. Vanilla - to enhance the flavor! Make sure it's all-natural.
OK! Now that you have that background knowledge, let's get to the recipe! What are you waiting for?
Energy Bites (makes 15):
1 cup oats
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup unsweetened, natural coconut flakes
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
1 Tbsp. chia seeds (or two!)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Combine all your ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and stir together with a spoon. This may take a minute or two, the mixture's really thick! Once everything is fully combined, roll into small balls. (See picture if you're having trouble with size). Then, put your bites into the fridge until ready to eat! Refrigerate for the next week, and enjoy a yummy snack. :)
Recipe and photography by: Ashley
Click on the pics to see a caption!
I'm Ashley, a food-loving, Michigan dweller, 14-year-old writer and the founder of Green Teen!